Friday, April 16, 2010

Changes

After the Changing Melody Forum, a woman was discussing her husband with me. She said one of the things that’s particularly bothersome is his inability to control his swearing. She said it’s particularly bad because he used to be in the Navy, so he has a fairly extensive vocabulary.
With the start of Alzheimer's disease two major factors are going to increase the likelihood that the person will swear or use other forbidden words when they become stressed or frustrated. First of all they lack impulse control. If they think it, they will say it or do it. They can no longer control an impulse. That part of their brain is damaged.
I’m using swear words I wasn’t even aware I knew! All I can think is I should probably be buying large quantities of Duct Tape!

3 comments:

karen said...

We had to stop takeing mom out in pubic because she not only said very bad words she yelled them very loud. Not good at the mall or when we are eating out. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonder what I will say ....... (presuming I don't already!). Lol!
A difficult situation Karen ~ we need much more awareness and understanding within the whole of society,then maybe your Mom could still have her outings to the mall and restaurant.
Hugs to both freda

Anonymous said...

Hola Mary,
Thanks for continuing to share your experiences. This sounds so familiar to mom, she doesnt use profanity but is very impulsive and if she has something in her mind she will say it, doesn't matter where we are or who we are with..

Take care Mary,
hugs from
Lynda
Waterbury, Connecticut