Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lowering my cholesterol

Last week our doctor prescribed Ezetrol to lower my cholesterol.  It isn't a statin drug, so I agreed to take it.  However, my research indicated it was also known to sometimes cause muscle problems.  There is no way I need any more muscle issues going on, so I'm not going to take it.  Jim's sister Carly suggested I try flax seeds and chia seeds.  Both are known to lower cholesterol.  Also Chia seeds are a  major source of omega-3. They also contain high amounts of antioxidants, fiber, protein, calcium, magnesium and iron.  They have been recently touted as the new 'superfood'.  They are an amazing source of long-term energy.  So I will be taking 2 tablespoons of ground flax and 2 tablespoons of ground chia daily, and I'll let you know in a month when I have my next blood test how they worked at lowering my cholesterol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in knowing how it works, Mary. I take Simvastatin. Also, keeping your son in my prayers.
I've started a blog on here, too. Wings of Joy.

Sharon said...

Hope you're doing well, Mary.

Anonymous said...

And I take atorvastatin and my legs don't work so well any more, so would be interested to know your results.
Another 'tee-hee' story ...... I just now put milk in microwave for portion of AllBran (tum unco-operative) then combined the 2 in dish......all in semidark as bulb failed in kitchen and waiting for any tall person to visit to rebulb ..... Bran with RIBENA (already in mug apparently!) plus warm milk, not so bad!!!!!